Thursday, August 01, 2019

Upcoming Keytruda #4, travel notes, and today

We switched my next Kyiv appointment to a Tuesday instead of a Monday. Also, I'm going to make this trip by myself and in the fastest way possible: two overnight trains in a row. Please pray for me, because that can be exhausting. Last time--with day trains and two overnights in Kyiv--seemed really long. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this and how to work with the train tickets that are available. 

I've already made arrangements for the trip after this, too (August 26). On that one, Will is going with me, and we'll spend one night at a hostel in Kyiv. (I think one overnight is probably the best way. But before or after treatment? Like I said, I'm trying to figure out the best way.) I bought these tickets online! Normal people do that all the time, but the system didn't like our cards for many years, so I was really excited when I tried this time, and it worked.

Anyway, this time I'll leave home Monday evening, and get to Kyiv Tuesday morning to go straight out to the clinic. I'll spend the day there, then go back to the train station and get on a train to be home Wednesday morning. Then I'll SLEEP. That's what I told friends from church: sure, I'd love to have them visit this week, but not next, because I'll be asleep. (Keytruda can cause fatigue, and the other medicine they add for me causes extreme sleepiness, plus regular travel tiredness....)

And today: I'm going back to the orphanage for the first time since before I went into the hospital! I am so excited.When I called the director to plan this, she started crying when she first heard my voice. Maybe we're all excited. There's a guest here, and I'll be accompanying him and some other friends on a visit.

I still want to write more about camps and share more photos. That was such a big deal and so wonderful for everyone involved. I might have to interview our children, or something, though, because I wasn't there.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Thank you for this update; I have been so missing your "voice." My heart sings to know you are able to go to the orphanage; at the same time prayers increase for strength and stamina. Much, much love.

Unknown said...

Thank for sharing your excitment about the camp and all the other activies. Praying for safe travel and that everything works correctly. Getting the rest you need is very important. Karen

Baba Julie said...

So glad that you were able to make your plans online this time. We know that makes it easier. And, we will certainly be praying, not only for the procedure and the effectiveness of the drug, but also for the quick turn around and for you as you make this quick trip by yourself.

Also, we are so thrilled, as we know the director, workers and children will be that you are going to be able to visit "your" orphanage! Praying for your strength and that you have a wonderful time of fellowship with each one. Love you, Julie and Bernie

Lindy Johnson said...

Love the update and the positive outcomes you’re experiencing. Safe and easy travels ahead! Love to you and the family.