Monday, September 23, 2019

Difficult days

Yesterday and today have been really difficult.

First, though, we had a lovely dinner out on Saturday night. That was the calm before the storm, and I'm so thankful for it!

Saturday morning I woke up covered in a very itchy rash. Very! Itchy! And very covered. Will started contacting doctors. My wonderful doctor in Kyiv answered right away, but she's too far away to help. She told us to go straight back to the doctor I had seen for the complications of my cold. That doctor--and most doctors--don't work on Sunday mornings. We signed up for the first apointment with her this morning. Then I started in on everything my Kyiv doctor could suggest for comfort, plus an oatmeal bath, and finally an evening with our English-speaking group of friends to distract myself. (That was the bright eye in the middle of the storm. So thankful for them, too!)

This morning when I got up, it was much worse. By the time we got to the clinic, I looked bad enough that they were talking about calling an ambulance, instead of waiting for the doctors to get there. But we waited, and I ended up with several doctors taking care of me. After a very traumatic IV situation (that should have been easy; IVs are a big part of life for me lately), and a shot, I'm feeling somewhat better. I still look like a leopard, but not very itchy, and I can breathe normally! And fit my glasses on to my face!

We're not entirely sure what caused all this. It was either a delayed reaction to the antibiotics I took last week, or a very delayed reaction to Keytruda, or as one doctor said, something like a "combined reaction." Whatever it was, please pray that it will go away and never, ever come back.

I think we're back to Will giving me shots twice a day for at least a few days now, depending on how quickly the rash goes away. Since I'm healed from the 5-per-day hospital shots, I don't know how he'll find the right place to inject. You can pray for both of us. Thanks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your discomfort and am glad you are getting relief. I had a reaction when I was 8 months pregnant that was difficult to diagnose (turns out detergent had changed their formula and that was all we could pinpoint) but I just wanted relief! I am hopeful the relief continues and this doesn't continue. Love you!

Baba Julie said...

Oh Phyllis! We are so sorry to hear this! We are praying that it will go away very quickly! We love you all!! Julie and Bernie

Anonymous said...

Oh Phyllis, bless your dear heart. Love and prayers my friend.
~Misty

The Winding Ascent said...

Maybe something from the restaurant food? It seems unlikely to be the keytruda this late in the game! Praying for you! -Megan

Mom said...

Just saw this...we are so sorry you are having such a hard time. Much love, many prayers.

Anonymous said...

Oh,Phyllis, just heartbreaking.. I am so sad to hear of this. How miserable! Pray you continue to come out of this and continue healing!