Sunday, October 03, 2010

Sunday Evening Post, issue 2


A photo from this week:



Jaan... still hasn't lost that tooth. His music school schedule has been all different this week, because of Teachers Day, which was celebrated with a special concert that he had to attend. His piano teacher says that she's never seen a child like him before; homeschoolers are so weird, that even without knowing what they are, she noticed it.

Raia... was absolutely thrilled to get to go to the concert with Jaan! Also, believe it or not, she's still having trouble transitioning to no nap. I remember this with Jaan at this age, too. She can do her reading lessons for a few days, but by the end of the week, she can hardly keep her eyes open. And then she NAPS on the weekends. But don't tell her that I said all that; in her opinion, she's way too old to sleep during the day.

Asya... has been a little sick, but it's not slowing her down much at all. I have to record one of the funny things she does, before I forget: she loves to stand somewhere, pump her arms and say "семь, четыре, двадцать-два" ("seven, four, twenty-two") , then take off running. We have no idea where she got it from, but it's really cute!

Will this week: In accordance with the saying about a wife's first baby (although I don't believe it), I have to start a section for the one I didn't really mention last week. I just can't think of what to write, so I'll have to ask him....

School this week: We finished Week 5, and reading practice is going much better this week. We did a little less school than usual, because of the different music practice, but we got in some each day and finished the AO readings for the week.

My books and knitting: Still reading the same trilogy. Although, my birthday Kindle finally made it here, so I started a George MacDonald book on it, too. (I'll just quickly say that I am going to LOVE this Kindle!) Knitting news is that I finished my square and started on a lovely project an internet mentor sent me. She made the first part of it, and then decided that she didn't love the color, so she gave it to me. This is the first time I've handled a "luxury yarn," and it's incredible! Still, it's like knitting with spider web, so I have to do it in good light and without distractions. For the other times, I also started a Kindle bag.

A quote:
No worthier work can there be for a human soul that has found grace to conceive somewhat of God's loving-kindness, than to serve Him and watch and pray for those men whose sight is still darkened.
--Kristin Lavransdatter: The Mistress of Husaby, page 500

Weather and nature observations: This week fall turned cool and rainy, but we've still been able to enjoy being out in between the showers.

Other news, ministry, notes and miscellaneous from the week: We had a sad, heavy week here. Two young families at church had babies due. One of the babies died. I can't even imagine the grief the parents are going through, but we're all grieving with them. This was their first baby, born right after their first wedding anniversary. She only lived for a few hours. The other family's baby is doing well. Cute little Yasha is a big brother now.

On this date in. . . 2007, we took our first fall family walk with newborn Asya.

10 things I'm thankful for...holy experience
  • a Kindle for me!
  • when a little sister loves her older siblings so much that she's miserable without them
  • when I can watch through the window, as all three walk hand in hand outside
  • knitting
  • super soft yarn, in lovely muted colors
  • cool, grey fall days
  • bright sunshine, breaking through the grey and bouncing off the gold
  • Will reading aloud
  • hot baths
  • ash trees

My question for you: I guess I'll just ask, How was your week? (Please answer!)

7 comments:

Mom said...

And so you have documented BZ in the oven...had he just been busy with the baked pumpkin? How that cat has grown!

With much hope and a small bit of imagination, we can see fall coming here, and our AC has been off for 36 hours straight. Yippee!

I so look forward to your Sunday postings; thank you for the updates. Tonight is the presentation by the Mexico team--wish you could be here!

Karen G. said...

I KNEW you would love the Kindle--I'm so happy you got one. I can't tell you how attached I am to mine.

This week has been grand, and we are counting the days (into the single digits now) until we return to Poland (8).

Hu Family said...

I'm thoroughly enjoying our new Kindle too! Much better than computer reading.
Michael left for Singapore this week for meetings so it hasn't been a normal week at all.

Baba Julie said...

What a precious picture of the kitty! His name is BZ? I missed that! What does that stand for?

It is lovely here. The trees are just starting to change, but the cool air in the evening is delightful!! Good sleeping weather, as we say!

Interesting week with the new radio/blog show, two days at the Center, Supper Club here and Jon, Carrie and Pasha at church yesterday! And, oh yes! I've started teaching my Sun Sch class again! 4th - 6th grades! Love you all!!

Mrs said...

Love the weekly updates. What a clever idea!

I just don't know I just don't know . . Kindle or ipad vs. holding the book and turning the pages and seeing it on the shelf to revisit. PLUS, I have a daughter who aspires to be a librarian! Hmmm. . . .

My week has been a series of highs and lows. My Mama heart soars to see my children thrive and grow in Christ! Then there's personal trials and growth. Amazing that God gives peace through both.

Alissa Maxwell said...

Phyllis - I love the weekly updates. I'm thinking that might be a better way to blog about my kids as well. I feel like there's so much to say, but by the time I can sit down and type, I've forgotten it all.

Love my Kindle, too. It was such a fun way to take along lots of reading for our Mexico vacation (though I still had 5 library books in my suitcase as well!)

amy in peru said...

this is such a fun idea... :)

I like your topics.

So, I thought I'd been following your blog all this time, when I saw your comment and thought, I haven't seen a post from Phyllis for a LONG time, I'll just pop over there... then lo and behold I've missed lots of posts. hmmmm.

well.

I'm glad that's taken care of... ;)

amy in peru