Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Christmas Eve

I'll go back now and write about some of the events of our holiday season so far. First, the Christmas Eve tea at church:

Making cookies beforehand
We spent a good bit of the day baking and preparing treats. I loved cutting out sugar cookies with Asya! I guess she can't remember ever having done this before? She giggled with excitement every time she lifted the cookie cutter and saw the shape that she had made. Then we took what we had made to church and added it to what everyone else had made and bought for the evening.

Will starting off the festivities
There was tea, of course, along with tons of sweets, singing, games, poems, testimonies, and just a lot of good, fun fellowship time.

Asya and Alina

The children participating

"I just couldn't say my poem!"
As I said before, she had to recover with Alina for a while after her first attempt at public speaking. Fortunately, she has a big sister who didn't have any trouble with reciting both Asya's part and her own.

We all really enjoyed an evening together as a time to kick off the celebration of Christ's birth! There's usually more focus on the January 7th Christmas, but this was the start of the season.

2 comments:

Baba Julie said...

How fun! And, that's great that Raia could jump right in and do Asya's part! Smart girl!! Hugs and kisses!

Books For Breakfast said...

I just found you through Homeschooling In A Bilingual Home and I am so glad! I spent some time in Ukraine working at a summer bible camp in Lugansk when I was in high school. I was hooked. I got a Bachelor's degree in Russian Studies, became nearly fluent. A few months spent in Russia would have been the tipping point. But while in college I also met and married a wonderful man who does not share my mania for all things Russian. So I chose to give up my plans to become his wife and mother to his children. And I don't regret a moment of it. Ever. But sometimes I do wonder what plans God has for my studies. Because I don't believe it is all for naught. I love your blog, your story. I will be back often.