Thursday, December 08, 2011

Visa news?

(Sorry, Mom. This post isn't for you. )

For other Ukraine families who might be interested: this isn't exactly news, but it is straight from the (Zaporozhya) horse's mouth. Even though our registration doesn't run out until March, Will went to our nice, helpful, professional, regional OVIR to ask about the new law that went into effect on September 10. (If you don't think all those words should be used in one sentence, come to Zaporozhya! I am not being sarcastic.) We thought they had probably had enough time to figure it out by now. And... they said the new law is being amended on December 25. So, come back at the end of January to see how it has worked out. Maybe that's not exactly news, but I hadn't heard about any amendments before that.

So, everyone can be praying that the amendments will be good, but we still don't know anything.

At least, that's how it is in Zaporozhya oblast.

5 comments:

Anna said...

Yes, we'll definitely be praying that it's a good amendment. I got caught at the Odessa airport, but didn't get fined. What they said didn't make a lot of sense, but does this surprise us? I got my new visa in June and left for Poland July 5th. He tarted counting from when I reentered the country Aug. 23rd, which meant that I was over the 90 days by a few days. I tried to explain that the law had changed Sept. 10th and that it didn't make sense to count from Aug. 23rd, but he didn't listen to me. He didn't fine me, though, b/c it was only a few extra days. He just scolded me for "not counting" and told me that next time I need to be very careful. I wanted to ask how to do that when everyone counts differently and applies the law differently, but I didn't. =-D

Baba Julie said...

Hi, Phyllis! We will be praying! And, yes, it is most confusing. I know that must be hard for you all! We love you a lot!!

Phyllis said...

Sorry, Anna, but what he said makes perfect sense to me. Maybe that means I've lived here too long? (Or I've been reading the laws too much lately!) Anyway, I'm glad you didn't get fined.

Jolene said...

Thanks, Phyllis, for this new update! I've passed it along to the others here in Simferopol. I appreciate you taking the time to pass along information from your awesome OVIR! :-)

amy in peru said...

peru is like that too!! new takes time and then gets changed before we even had time to adjust to what it was before!! ;) we may have to ammend our statement...
"only in peru" to include other countries?