Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I love my children

I found this really sweet and wanted to write it down so that I don't forget.

After the part of the Agape graduation and anniversary celebration that was in church, everyone headed back to the hotel on foot, with vans running back and forth picking people up along the way. About halfway back, Will and I got into one of the vans with Asya and Bogdan. Jaan and Raia had run ahead, and--after all the sitting at church--they really wanted to run. So, we let them go. But, when the van caught up to them, they were talking to a ragged, limping stranger. The people we were with were very worried, and the driver stopped to see what was going on. Parked on the other side of the road, we watched as Jaan and Raia chatted with the man, shook his hand, and then they ran on.

Once we got to the hotel, I told them that people had been very worried that "the drunk" had been bothering them. Jaan said, "He wasn't drunk! He was like the kids at the orphanage [i.e. special needs of some sort], and he just needed a hug. So I hugged him, and then we went on."

Obviously, I don't know if the man was drunk or not, and we do watch our children's contact with strangers, but I thought the child's viewpoint was so nice: "He just needed a hug."

(More photos coming soon!)

2 comments:

Baba Julie said...

It was VERY special and such a sweet thing for a child to understand. I am very proud of both of them! Love y'all!

Mom said...

Precious children...playing out what they have learned at home. Love to all.