Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Asya's arm and more


Sunday evening Asya was rollerblading and fell. Her arm hurt, but she wasn't in agony, so we did ice and ibuprofen and bed time. The next morning she did all her school work and went to help at physical therapy with me. 

Physical therapy was a bit harder this time. K was sick, so he couldn't come. O came for a first time and cried loudly a whole lot, mostly just because she was afraid, but also because some of the stretches and movements hurt. Little G had a fit when it was time to go and cussed out the orphanage nurse. Big G did wonderfully (of course). I felt like I was going to go crazy from all the noise (there were other kids crying, too) and trying to figure out braces and shoes that we want to order; my friend the physical therapist expects me to know and understand all the equipment, plus keep track of everyone's sizes and measurements, while making phone calls from several phones in two languages at once. It wasn't fun and games, like last time, but overall it was fine, and I'm thrilled to see the kids getting this chance. Transportation did go smoothly and funds have come in to pay for it, which are answers to prayer. Please keep praying!

Then Asya and I went straight on to the nearby children's hospital to get her hand x-rayed. I was dreading it and thinking that it was quite likely that we wouldn't get in that day. (When Bogdan hurt his hand, we tried to go through a private doctor, and ended up waiting in a pay part of that same hospital for 6 hours just to get an x-ray!) I was very pleasantly surprised. No lines, no waiting, everything clean and nice.... In and out in about an hour, with a cast on her broken wrist. It's a simple little fracture that should heal soon. I did go out to buy the cast materials ($1!), but the pharmacy was just across the hall, so I hardly even had to leave her for a minute. The nurse was horrified that I didn't tell her beforehand that we have lots of children; she would have given us the supplies, if she had known. Everyone was so nice. Almost as soon as we got home, someone from church showed up to bring us a sling that her son had just finished using, too.

Then, since we were there, we went up to visit Nastia, Asya's friend from the orphanage, who is really sick. They thoroughly enjoyed some time together, even though one is very weak, and the other had a fresh cast on her arm. Please pray for Nastia.

When we finally got home, I felt like I wanted to hibernate for a few months at least. Today is better already, though.

We have a lot going on, and a lot coming up soon, so we could really use some extra prayers! Thank you.

Oh, also, our neighbour baby had been in the hospital for a week, and she came home yesterday. We're all so glad to have her back! They were just telling me that one of her medicine bottles had a picture of a little girl on it. She kept pointing at it and saying, "Asya?" Then sadly shaking her head and saying, "Asya is at home."


2 comments:

Mom said...

It was quite a day...but oh, the value of what you are doing with your time and energy!

Praying for all of you, especially Asya. Love to each one.

PS. Until I realized the pen was in the left hand, I thought the bottom photo showed you writing on Asya's cast, rather than her sister.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I know I commented on FB, but I wanted to say, again, how sorry I am that Asya hurt her arm! So glad it was no worse than it is and that you were able to get it taken care of as simply as possible! Please give her big hugs for us! Love, Julie/Baba Julie/Mom