Friday, April 26, 2019

Updates

I'm going to see about posting regular updates here. Not sure how that will work, but it's worth a try.

For anyone who doesn't know, the very short version is that a week and a day ago, I ended up in the hospital with intense pain. Since then I have been given a diagnosis of cancer. They removed one tumor last Friday, and today they stitched up the open incision that was left from that. I'm still in a lot of pain from a larger tumor that they can't get to. We're doing pretty well with keeping the pain under control in the hospital, though.

Today Will brought everyone to visit me all at once, and we went outside. It was wonderful! 


We had time for me to catch up on some of what they've been doing. Yesterday the older two helped with an Easter program that our church put on for the local schools. 500 children came through it! Asya also went to accompany our little Muslim neighbor, since it was the first time she had been in a church. Tomorrow Raia will be helping to run the same program again for church children and the art school. Jaan will be busy with something else, but Asya and Bogdan will attend the program.

Sunday will be Easter here.

Monday Jaan is heading out for a big Carpathian backpacking trip with the camp program he attended last year. Our plan was for all of us to go and have some family vacation time while he hiked, but that's not going to happen now. At least Jaan still gets to go.

If you had heard that Will was going to Kyiv to take my biopsies to the cancer institute there, plans have changed again since then. They don't work on Fridays, and Monday is a holiday. So, after Will puts Jaan on the train to the Carpathians, he'll get on a train himself to be in Kyiv Tuesday morning.

I feel so loved and cared for. I know many, many people are praying for us. We appreciate that and ask that you would keep it up! Like I said, I'll try to update here more often.

6 comments:

Mom said...

I cannot tell you how much we appreciate actually "hearing" your voice via blog. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the update. We love you dearly and are praying fervently for all of you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Phyllis... we also are so glad to "hear" from you. And, your update is very informative. It's good to hear what the children are doing and what plans you and they have. We continue to pray and send much love to you and all the family. Love, Julie and Bernie

Anonymous said...

Your Family in Fayette AL are very glad to hear this update. We are praying for you and all of your family there. We have added you to our prayer list at our church where your grandfather, and Great Grandparents have attended for over a century. Thank you for sharing your journey, please do continue to keep us posted. Love to you all, Dottie

The Winding Ascent said...

Praying for you, my friend! I stopped in to chat with Julie and Bernie and then had a coffee with Jen Snow. We are praying for a complete miraculous recovery. I hope you can feel the love we're sending you! Great to hear how everyone is doing, and I'm glad Jaan gets to go on the trip! So sorry I missed seeing you in Tennessee. --Megan

Lindy Johnson said...

Just spoke with Aunt Malinda who is following your blog and glad to hear the update. I will now check here as well. You know we are all sending you as much love and support as is possible from across the continents! I hope Jaan has an amazing trip. I also loved the concert with Raia playing, beautiful music.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your update. We are praying for you all . Karen