Sunday, January 01, 2006

С Новым Годом!

That is, Happy New Year!

Last night we planned to go to the church party as a family, instead of me staying home with the children. This is the biggest holiday of the year in Russia, and the parties go all the way until the morning. So, we dragged Jaan and Raia (and Mi-ka, can't forget him!) out of bed and headed off to the Korneichuks' house at 10:00 last night. My plan was to put our babies back to bed there, and then join everyone else in the other room. I started on that. . . and woke up this morning to Will telling me that a taxi was already coming to take us home, so I should get us ready. I slept through the whole party!

Now we have a beautiful sunny day to enjoy. Will and Raia are asleep. When Raia wakes up, three of us will probably go outside, while one keeps on sleeping. When that one finally gets up, we'll open presents! Jaan understands what presents are now, so he's itching to get his hands on these from our Hunsucker relatives. . . .

We'll kill the time by making bagels. Will found cream cheese here: 1.6 kilograms of it! And it's the real stuff, Philadelphia brand! They've never had it before in the store here, and might not ever have it again. We have to make bagels to go with the cream cheese. Yum!

We already received an email saying that my parents are home safely. We miss them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you needed the sleep more than the celebration; it was thoughtful of everyone to let you rest. It is our prayer that 2006 brings you significant advances in ministry and great personal joy.

This house seems incredibly quiet without Jaan's comments and his little feet padding from room to room and Raia's sweet baby sounds. We love each of you greatly and miss you deeply!

Enjoy your bagels.

Anonymous said...

I thought of you last night when they showed, on the news, the celebrations in Russia and Fr.Frost. Glad you had a good rest. Happy New Year! Today is the feast of St. Basil and my name day and Basil's name day ( I bloged about it). Do you know anyone named Vasily or Vasilisa ? Do you know if the Russians have Vasilopita with a coin in it today? Vasilopita is a sweet bread that is cut on the first of the year. (I blogged about that too in my "Year in Review") I know they do it in Greece I wonder about Russian. In Greece St. Basil (Vasily) brings the presents. I wonder if that was the custom before the Reveloution in Russia.

That is so exciting about CREAM CHEESE!! Whoo HOOO!! I would be THRILLED too! Enjoy your fresh bagels, sounds delicious! Glad your folks had a nice time and are home safely.

All my love for a fruitful and blessed 2006!!