Friday, June 27, 2008

From Sunrise Land

I’m reading From Sunrise Land, by Amy Carmichael. I highly recommend it! (You can download it free at the link above.) She wrote it when she first went to the mission field--in Japan--even before India. Here are just a few quotes; I want to share something from every chapter I read. Her heart for the lost, passion for souls, impressions of life in a new country and call to prayer are inspiring.


"People sometimes kindly pity missionaries. They needn't! Our Master gives us so many compensations that I think He must let some handfuls fall on purpose for us. It would be just like Him."
--Amy Carmichael, page 27

“’For my own part, I never cease to rejoice that God has appointed me to such an office. People talk of sacrifice. . . . It is emphatically no sacrifice!’ So wrote Dr. Livingstone, and, though very humbly, so write I. The sacrifice is on the home-side.”
-- page 46

“Why do home people ‘pedestal’ missionaries so?”
--page 61

The quotes in the sidebar were getting too long, so I'm moving them over here. Has anyone else started reading From Sunrise Land with me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful quotes, Phyllis! I know I am probably mangling this one, but someone once said, "If God calls you to be a missionary, don't stoop to be a king"!!! I believe that with all my heart. What greater, more "impacting" career could one have? We love you all and are so grateful that you are using your lives to serve Him!! Baba Julie

Mrs said...

I just downloaded a copy!