Monday, December 10, 2007

Just what we're doing today

We're busy here, packing up, cleaning, taking care of a fussy baby, and so on. Jaan and Raia spent the morning by themselves (that's a big deal for them!) with our friends. They had a wonderful time. I loved Jaan's garbled answer to my question of "What did you do?" when they came back. It went something like, "We ate bread, and we painted. They have beautiful paint. Even dark blue! But they don't have any boxes. Raia took a bath, and Rachel blew on her hair to make it pretty, but I didn't do that, because it wasn't interesting to me. And we watched TV about birds that fly and swim!"


"Doing letters"
Originally uploaded by fylliska.

(Рая говорит что они "делают буфовки," т.е. буковки.) This is one of the things that they've really enjoyed here: Starfall! At first they just sat and took it all in. Now they've started carefully repeating the letter sounds. . . but they still say the words in Russian. It makes me laugh to listen to them saying, "AAAAA - яблоко, AAAAA - космонавт. . . ."


If you've read our prayer requests, then you know that we're headed home tomorrow.

By the way, I've really been going back again and again to a chapter from Elisabeth Elliot's Secure in the Everlasting Arms, so I decided to see if it's online. It is! If you want to read with me, my chapter is "Called to Act." The poem further down in that newsletter also really spoke to me.
Child of my love, fear not the unknown morrow,
Dread not the new demand life makes of thee;
Thy ignorance doth hold no cause for sorrow
Since what thou knowest not is known to Me. . . .
That's just the beginning of the poem. There's a lot more of it, if you go to the link I gave.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Phyllis, for the poem... I will go to the link and read the chapter, as well! Our love and prayers are with you as you prepare and travel home! Baba Julie

Mrs said...

The poem; how wonderfully and beautifully appropriate.

Safe and uneventful travel to all!

Anonymous said...

We really like Starfall too! But we can only get it sometimes when internet is fast enough. Grace also mixes languages when participating :o)
All God's best to you in the adventure of uncertain tomorrows! We are there too at the moment.
Liz

Helen Brown said...

This link
also gives the origin of the poem, based on Proverbs 4:12. I have the text on a plaque given to me as a young believer: Step by Step as thou goest, the way shall open up before thee.