Friday, August 18, 2006

Staying dry

After over twelve hours up on the roof, they're done. Thank you for praying. The weather was beautiful, and our workers were safe. Will said that toward the end of the day, they gave up on melting the tar and started just putting in down in the holes and setting it on fire. We'll have to wait for the next rain to see how it works, but I'm sure it will hold at least until the whole building can decide to do a real, professional fix.

In the evening, I put Raia to bed, and then told Jaan that I would take him up on the roof to see Papa. He was so excited! He bounced all the way down the stairs (we have to go outside first to get to the roof entrance) and told everyone that he saw, "I'm going to the roof!" We climbed almost to the top of the ladder, and then he looked up and saw the open trapdoor above his head. He said, "Mama-ka, that's a big hole. I'm scared. I'm NOT going to the roof." And so we climbed back down and went home, with him telling everyone, "I did NOT go to the roof!" (It really is a pity that I can't type in Russian. It was so much cuter the way he really said it.)

Jaan is going to have to grow out of his fears, if he is going to live up to his new ambition: he wants to be a roofer.

8 comments:

Karen G. said...

What really has me flabbergasted by this whole thing is the question....

Just how many holes were up there and how big WERE they???

Is your building one of those in which the whole community has to agree before anything gets done, ergo, nothing ever gets done?

This scenario reminds me of our old flat, in a building that was run that way. Our stairway hadn't been painted in 40 years, but could everyone agree that it should be? No! A few enterprising neighbors collected donations from willing residents, bought paint, and did the work themselves...only up to the third floor, where they lived! (The neighbors above did not contribute...) But when they saw how nice it looked, they chipped in and asked them to paint all the way to the top (fifth floor, like your building).

Then everyone watched like hawks to make sure youngsters didn't deface the new paint...

Phyllis said...

Yes, it's a "cooperative" building. :-) There's been loud and ongoing discussion, mainly between the first and fifth floors. Apparently the first floor is louder. This year they're taking up a (mandatory) collection to fix the basement, not the roof. It's actually been really funny. One fiery little grandmother up here with us was threatening to pull up her linoleum and let her puddles run down to the fourth floor, so that they would start to care: "The first floor can't share their dampness upwards, but we can let ours come down!" Now, why couldn't logic like that win out?

Anonymous said...

And I didn't even know there is a basement! How is it used?

Much love...

Anonymous said...

bwahahahaha!! Too funny all the way around. Hope the problem is solved now and you all stay dry.

Oh and Happy Birthday too!!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to ...
I can't believe it has been 26 years since your mother woke me up from a deep sleep with "gas" pains. A couple of hours later, the nurse and I delivered you because the doctor thought he knew more about timing than you did.

I wish you could have seen me driving through town in second gear because I was using my right hand as a candle for your mother to blow on and couldn't shift gears. Yes, we knew about controlled breathing even in the days before cell phones.

Walking through the parking lot with your mother's grip breaking my arm every 90 seconds was another thrill. The look on the receptionist's face when she tried to separate us and your mother's look letting her know that there would be homicide in the lobby if she tried were priceless. (You come by your stubborness honestly.)

Lots of love and best wishes from
Mother and Daddy

Mimi said...

Congratluations. Thanks be to God!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Wish I could be with you, pamper you and help you celebrate...sending love, hugs and prayers your way!!! We, (baby and I) prayed for you this morning on my way to work. Baby contributed a few good hard kicks for emphasis. =)
LOVE YOU!!! Shae

Anonymous said...

Hello sweet Phyllis,

(I could've called you girlie but I didn't so that is my birthday gift to you.) I am so pleased to hear that you have been pampered a little bit this week although I was a bit concerned to hear about burning tar into the roof. I guess you take excitement when you can get it. ;o)

So anyway, I am glad that you were born. Have a very special day!!! Love you, jules