Friday, August 11, 2006

Theology 101

I hope no one thinks this is disrespectful. Jaan's sincerely trying to understand, and the things he comes up with are just so cute. And if you think I quote him too often, you can just stop reading here.

I've been teaching Jaan his full name. Yesterday, out of the blue, he announced
"I'm Jaan Hunsucker."
"That's right!"
"Are you Mama-ka Hunsucker?"
"Yes."
(Points to Raia.) "And this is Baby Hunsucker?"
"Yes."
"Is Papa also a Hunsucker?"
"Yes."
"And God? God Hunsucker?"


I was telling Jaan how happy I was that he had been so obedient in the
store. He asked,
"Is Raia obedient?"
"Yes."
"Is Mama obedient?"
"Yes. I obey Papa."
"Is Papa obedient?"
"Yes. Papa obeys God."
"Ah, so that's why Papa went to Moscow." (What an interesting connection for him to make!)
He was obviously thinking this over, because all day he kept repeating, "Where's Papa?" and "Does Papa obey God?" Then--here's the funny part--when we went outside, someone asked him were his Papa was. Jaan replied, "He went on a train to God."


Of course, I've also been answering more conventional questions, such as "Where is God?" and "Can I touch Him?" Jaan is at such a wonderful age!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing the development of Jaan's understanding via his questions and perceptions. It is like water to a very thirsty plant--I don't think you can provide too much. I do wonder if God resides in Moscow....

Anonymous said...

I love it. Anyone who gets bored reading about Jaan's (and soon Raia's) questions about life and God needs an attitude adjustment. Or a blood pressure check. They might be dead!

My great grandfather used to say I was the smartest three-year-old boy in the world because I knew where the candy dish was. I think Jaan has surpassed my genius. His God Hunsucker is way beyond his years.

Keep thoses quotes coming!

I'm in grandda heaven. I posted a comment before Julie.

Loving Life said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Loving Life said...

I love it! The way they 'discover and contemplate' life should met anyone's heart!

I'd have to agree with 'Space Potato' in regards to your blogs about your family. Isn't that what our blogs are for?- for family and friends far and near to feel as if they are right beside you during these memorable times?!

If God does indeed reside in Moscow-do you suppose he wears a really cool hat and has a bushy mustache? (funny :) that's what I picture when I think of Russia)

Anonymous said...

"God Hunsucker"!!! I love it! :)

Anonymous said...

Oregon Criss - you captured the purpose of a blog beautifully.

God resides everywhere, but he vacations in Jackson Hole, WY. My favorite vacation place of all time.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's good to know that crazy name came straight from the Almighty. At least now when people ask me the origin of my name, I have a good answer.