Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Doctor's report

Thank you for all your prayers! I ended up going to Moscow by myself, while Will stayed here with our children. Everything went well. I made it there and back with no problems, and I didn't even pass out when they drew blood. I'm still not entirely satisfied with answers to my questions, but the doctor wasn't worried by my symptoms. They tested my heart (fine), my vision (not so good as it used to be), and my thyroid (waiting for results, but I'm sure it's fine, too). The diagnosis is that I had a few migraines. I already knew that.

The doctor and I didn't start off too well. His first question for me was, "So, what is your profession?" I answered, "I'm a mother." His response: "That's not a profession!" (Grr.) Next questions: "Didn't you go to doctors for your pregnancies? Why not?" My response: "I don't like doctors!" (Grr on his part.) I really didn't mean to let that pop out; it's just our general excuse when other people ask. I wasn't meaning to offend him!

Anyway, after that little exchange, we didn't really get anywhere, and he left me to a nurse. But then he came back, and we made much better progress. He ended up doing most of the testing for free and writing off a lot of the time that he could have charged me for.

Once I was done at the clinic, I had to kill time until my train, and I actually enjoyed walking around by myself. In one day I read 400 pages of Uncle Tom's Cabin. It's probably been five years since I indulged in a book feast like that! I also had Chinese food, browsed a book store, and just enjoyed the novelty of being alone. It was rather boring, though. There was so much that I would have enjoyed more with my family around.

I finally got home at 11:00. When I crept in to wake Raia up, because I really needed to nurse her, she said, "Mama" and started signing "milk" in her sleep. Too cute!

We've had a great time together today. Jaan told me that it was a "bad train" that took me away yesterday. This morning we made snow cakes outside, molding them with a little bucket, and then decorating them with leaves, sticks, and berries. While I was gone, Jaan and Will made a big boy sized snow shovel, so we had to try that out, too. It's so good to be home!

Oh, interesting note: there's almost no snow in and near Moscow. As the train got closer and closer, there was less and less. We have so much here already!

9 comments:

Carrie said...

Hi Phyllis!
It's too bad that doctor didn't know that motherhood is a profession and an important one at that. I am glad to hear the visit went well and pray they can find the cause of those migraines.

Carrie

Anonymous said...

OH Phyllis I am so sorry you are dealing with migraines too. No fun at all! :-( I will be praying for healing for you. Interesting...I found out that my symptoms were migraines in Ukraine. Although, at first they were convinced that I had been drinking too much vodka and had pancreatitis. *lol* Um, no not even close!!! ;-) I was glad to finally get back to Kyiv to the American medical center who knew better that it's rare for Americans like myself to have pancreatitis. =) It was hard to convince any Ukrainians otherwise!

Keep drinking lots of fluids and make sure you eat plenty even as a busy mom through out the day. Those are usually my biggest most obvious triggers. The fact that you are nursing you probably are already doing this but I thought I would throw it out there anyway. I realize on some days that I'm feeding the kids so much that I don't even notice that I haven't had a good size snack or drink of water myself.

Yesterday I was an hour and half away from home doing adoption paperwork and had made sure to pack a bag full of snacks for the kids. I felt like I was constantly feeding them something to keep them quiet while I was busy with officials. I guess having four you do feel like that anyway! *lol* Anyway, by 3pm I had realized that I hadn't eaten a thing myself and forgot to even pack as much as an apple for me! To say the least I arrived home around 5pm to vote and crash with a nasty migraine. I learned my lesson! :-(

I couldn't help but think while I was reading your blog that I bet during that alone time you were still wishing to be with your family. Many always think that alone time is so wonderful for me (when it rarely happens!) but I find it to be quite the opposite. Although it is fun to read or take walks it's not quite as fun as reading to or taking walks with my little ones. =)

Like you, yesterday, I had that same feeling of being so glad to be back in my neighborhood or as we say it, "neck of the woods." We always get more snow too and we enjoy the serene life of simplicity than what is found in the cities.

amazing journeys said...

Glad things went well! I kept thinking about you all day yesterday and today. It's kind of funny what you wrote about the doctor, but I didn't know you didn't do prenatal care for your pregnancies! That really would be odd for Russia (especially knowing the fact that most women don't like their doctors but don't really have a choice anyway). Please take good care of yourself and stay healthy! :)

Anonymous said...

It is good to here that they were migranes, but I will not say those are easy at all. Anyway, make sure to take care of yourself, definitely. Have an awesome rest of the week!


your bro,
Mattt Icardi

Anonymous said...

Phyllis,
Boy, sure hoping migraines stay far from you in the future. No fun at all. I absolutely loved that Raiah signed "milk" in her sleep. Way too sweet! I've noticed in the last two weeks that Hannah is really using her signs, especially 'please'. I love it!!!! Blessings to you and thanks for praying for us in Craig's absence. We should get to talk with him, finally, tomorrow afternoon. He should be home on Saturday! I can't wait; I miss him so very much and am ready for a good night's sleep (I cannot manage to sleep well without him!)!
~Ericka

Mrs said...

I hear you, I hear you on "alone" time! I used to crave a day alone. Now An hour or so and I'm ready to be back with my family. I can't help it.. . they're my favorite people in the world!

My migraine triggers are chocolate (yes, weep for me!), alcohol (no worries there), aged cheeses (especially sharp cheddar. Mozzarella OK), vinegar, and citrus. If I have caffiene, I must have some every day until I wean myself off of it. I stopped drinking sodas and when we were out I'd order lemonade (water at home), but the citrus would get me!

Foods in the cabbage family are supposed to be triggers as well. Oh, also "hung" meats like salami and pepperoni, though these don't bother me so much.

About 15 years ago I took myself off all the above foods for a few weeks, then slowly reintroduced them to see which would trigger the migraines. The thing to remember is that you may not get a migraine until the next day or even two days later, so I would do one new food per week. I remember living off chicken and rice at this time.

Also, do you eat protien throughout the day? My favorite migraine preventer when I'm out and about (as Sarah said) is to bring carrots and peanutbutter. I'm sure we'll have to ship you some! We'll be out and John will notice my migraine before I do. He'll say, "Eat something, NOW!" He can see it in my face and actions when one is coming, since I usually start rubbing my neck.

Please keep us posted on your progress! Remember; doctors are only practicing anyway. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Did you go to an "American" clinic? What an infuriating comment. He needs some sensitivity training!

Alissa Maxwell said...

Phyllis,
I'm proud of you for trekking to Moscow by yourself and then walking through the door of the Doctor's clinic. I'm sure you contemplated just turning around since you enjoy doctors so much. Good for you to stick with it and at least rule out that you don't have something more serious.

Although you didn't enjoy all your alone time, I'm glad you got it. Just to devour through a book is such a treat that we all need every once in a while. Even if your time alone just reminds you how much you want to be with your family - that's worthwhile in itself.

Many blessings - Alissa

Phyllis said...

Thank you so much! Again, thank you for praying, and thank you for the helpful comments!

Olga, I did do prenatal care! For Jaan we had a great midwife; she just wasn't an official doctor. WIth Raia I did everything myself. :-) But, yes, of course you're right: it's unheard of here.

Anna, it was an international clinic, but the doctor was Russian. My comment to him wasn't so polite either! :-)