Monday, August 29, 2005

Boys are such fun!

Just in the past few days, Jaan has managed to make a dent in his forehead, skin his chin, and swallow a ruble! I can't figure out if he's trying to keep me young or make me go grey prematurely. Through all that he continues to be a very happy, active little boy. We've spent hours outside watching big digging machines (I guess I'm going to have to learn what they're called) and then coming in and reading "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel." At least he also enjoys butterflies, ladybugs and flowers.

Will's in Moscow again today, still working on visa stuff. He had hoped for this to be just a quick day trip, but he just called and said that it really doesn't look like he'll be able to get back tonight.

I think I was going to write out several thoughts below the picture of us going for a walk. First, did you notice that nice green grass in the background? That's part of our ministry to our neighbors. You can't see the flowers in the picture, but there are quite a few that we've planted out there, too. It started in the beginning of spring, when we got sick of all the trash the the melting snow was revealing. I was too pregnant, and Jaan was too busy, for me to help much, but Will cleaned up around our building. Once it was clean, we decided to put in a flower bed. Soon, we knew all our neighbors and everyone knew us by name, people were bringing us flowers to add, and some of the older men would come out to sit and talk to Will while he worked. We didn't deliberately start out to do anything like that, but we're really glad that it just happened like that.

The other thing that I was thinking of writing about was how much attention we attract. I feel like an exhibit in a museum when we go out. I know people talk about The Woman with the Two Babies. It's somewhat unusual to have two children here, and it's very unusual to have two close in age. Also, letting a little baby like Raia be upright is a sure way to have her turn out as a hunchback or cripple, according to Russian medical wisdom. People are always shocked to see Jaan as a healthy little boy, running all around, when I tell them that I carried him the same way. Sometimes I get tired of the stares, but I thankful for the opportunities to talk to people. I've had to explain quite a few times already why I didn't have an abortion. That's a very sad commentary on society; it always makes me want to cry, but I'm still thankful for the opportunity to share.

I'm sorry to end on a sad note today. Pray for Russia!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey--Tears of joy and tears of sorrow....It blesses us to know how your love of children and delight in gardening provide such keys for ministry. Your life would shine as an example here, but the backdrop of greater darkness there makes the contrast intense.

Prayers and love--Mom

Anonymous said...

wow that last part about the abortions is so very sad. Praying !!! So many lost souls!! It breaks my heart we call Russia "Holy Russia" and it is just so sad what has been lost through persecution and communism , entire generations that don't know Christ and the Church. Weeping tears of sorrow here.

You and Will and your precious children are always in my prayers too!! You are such a special family! I LOVE your flower ministry how wonderful!!! Glory be to God for all things!!