Saturday, June 17, 2006

Life is not fair!

Remember the bathroom vent had a bird in it? Well, now that same vent is raining maggots! Utterly gross! I can't figure out what is going on. Will blocked off the shaft. Did the birds come back and build a nest on top of his blockade? Or, worse yet, did one die up there? (I can't smell anything.) Jaan is convinced that these disgusting little things are caterpillars, so he goes hysterical every time I sweep up a batch of them: "Mama, be careful! Don't hurt the caterpillars!" And he wants to carry them around and play with them. YUCK!

And to make things worse, Will took Abby to Vladimir today. We expected a quick trip there and back for him, but he just called and said he ended up going with his sisters to go horseback riding in Suzdal. (He would have had to wait for Ivan anyway.) Boo-hoo! I'm thrilled that he got extra time with the girls, but he was in Suzdal enjoying the horses, while I'm here dealing with a plague of maggots?!?!

Oh, well! I wouldn't have wanted to leave as early as Will and Abby had to. I am having a very good day with our children, who have been in desperate need of a behavior tune-up since Moscow. I'm getting caught up on housework. And in a few minutes we're going to go outside to play. . . .


Here's the bird picture from last week:

Jaan gets a look at the bird
Originally uploaded by fylliska.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yuck! I wonder if there's any way the maggots could be connected with the bird Will already extricated.

Do you think you will be able to get out into the garden today? How are things growing there?

Honey--we love you dearly.

Phyllis said...

No, we didn't go to the garden; we just played outside today. I don't need to go over there every day. Everything is growing really well. My tomato plants look incredibly healthy. We just brought home our first radishes. :-) Oh, you should have seen Raia yesterday! She was BLACK with dirt.

Baba Julie, wre had a wonderful time with Abby, too! Jaan's first words when he woke up this morning were, "Где Тётя Эбби?" (Got that?) But she was already gone. :-(