Monday, March 20, 2006

Ivanovo and today

We had a wonderful weekend, but we feel almost like we ran a two-day marathon. The car ride to Ivanovo fulfilled all of Jaan's expectations. Uncle Vanya even had him sit up in the front seat! I think I enjoyed it as much as Jaan. There was a rare mixture of thick fog and bright sunshine when we set out, and the trees and bushes sparkled in a way that I've never seen before. It was like they had all been sprinkled with glitter. When the fog lifted, everything was a beautiful, blinding blue and white.

The youth festival was very good. I didn't get to hear the speakers, because I was in and out with Raia so much, but I did hear the Moscow choir. That would have been enough to make the trip worthwhile in my opinion, even without all the great fellowship and fun of the rest of the day. Along with our usual usual group of youth, Misha and Seryozha went, and they both seemed pleased with their first experience of a regional youth day.

Today we're recovering from our weekend. We'll probably just stay home and rest. I had thought spring was coming. Last week Jaan and I watched three trucks get stuck in one afternoon; that's a sure sign of spring! However, right now it's snowing so hard that I can barely see the building across from us. It looks like a good day to hibernate a little bit more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can just picture Jaan's delight with his front-seat adventure, and I am very thankful that you all had such a good time. Although it's hard to believe, from your description I guess the glittering of the snow was even more stunningly beautiful than what we experienced.

We love you all.

Fabio 'n Elizabeth Tsukayama said...

Hi Phyllis! It's "fulltime mom". :) Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I have been meaning to email or pm you for ages to tell you that I never was able to access your Christmas newsletter! :( Do you think you could send me the link, or email me the letter??
Thanks!