Saturday, March 18, 2006

Jaan's going

We're actually ready early, and I have time to write!

Last night Jaan saw me laying out clothes and getting ready for today. I explained what our plans were and how Uncle Vanya (Ivan from Viazniki) was going to come pick us up and all. I thought I emphasized the tomorrow part of the story, but apparently not.

Jaan usually directs me through our bedtime routine:
"Mama, Jesus." (Read a Bible story.)
"Mama, pray."
"Mama, light."
"Jaan sleep."
We got through the first two steps, and then I started to turn off the light. I was met by confused wails of "No, Mama! Uncle
Vanya. . . car. . . going. . . Jaan." So, I explained again, and Jaan went to bed happy. Later when he heard us come in for bed, he turned over and said in his sleep, "Let's go," using the verb that means in a car. And when he woke up this morning, he jumped out of bed and said, "Пока, Мишка! Ян поехал." (Bye, Mishka! Jaan's going.) And he started to run for the door.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I continue to be thankful that you are writing these vignettes, not only for us, but also for Jaan to read when he is older. They give such precious glimpses of your days together.

Have a good trip. Much love....

Anonymous said...

That was lovely!

Have a good trip! Be safe and post some picswhen you return!

Anonymous said...

Can Jaan not speak in sentences yet?

Anonymous said...

I wanted to add to your Mother's comment and say thank you for writing and posting photos so often. I don't write much but I enjoy your site several times a week. It is wonderful to be able to keep up with your family when I ever I have the need for some of Jaan's wisdom and their sweet smiles.

Carrie said...

For anonymous- Children who are exposed to 2 or more languages, including sign language, usually speak in sentences later than the child who only speaks 1 language.

Phyllis said...

No, Jaan's doesn't speak in sentences much, but he's getting there. :-)

Thanks, Carrie! And not to argue, but sign language helps with language development. I think you're right that having two spoken languages slows some children down, though.

Carrie said...

Hi Phyllis,
I didn't mean to come across as saying that sign language slows language learning. I agree with you. I want to start teaching sign language to Caleb. When did you start with Jaan?

Anonymous said...

That is so precious. And by the way, I thought his sentence to his bear was a pretty good sentence. Who is this anonymous, anyway?

Phyllis said...

I started pretty much from birth with showing Jaan signs. He didn't sign back until after his first birthday, though. I haven't been so consistent with Raia, but I think she'll be signing sooner. Already she gets all excited and tries to copy me. The only problem is that all of her signs are the same; they look like a flapping bird. :-) Anyway, at this age I'm showing her signs and actually taking her hands and doing them with her, too.

Lindy Johnson said...

I find it interesting how the question of speaking in sentences raised such a discussion. Having two boys who have aged beyond 2 it obvious to me that it's such an individual developmental stage that there is no age to speak in sentences. Jaan communicates so clearly that whether he's learning one or two languages doesn't really matter as far as sentence development. I love seeing how inquisitive and outspoken (the lettuce example) he is. I can't wait to visit a butterfly garden or museum with him some day! Love, Aunt Lindy