Sunday, August 09, 2009

Back at the dacha

Last week a normal summer week for us. Monday we went swimming with two of the girls from church. (They took a bunch of pictures. I'll have to see if I can get some from them.) Tuesday we headed back out to our dacha, and we spent the whole rest of the week playing and working in the dirt.


Will hired a friend to help with some big projects, so we enjoyed having Volodya around almost every day. Jaan and Raia have been studying every move he makes, trying to learn how to tar a roof. I think they've almost talked his ears off, too.




I went back to our apartment one day to make spaghetti sauce with some of the abundance of tomatoes that we have, and now our freezer is full. Yes, we're in the midst of tomato season! I love that our children ask for a tomato "for dessert" after almost every meal. Our lettuce finally gave out; I couldn't believe how long it did last. Most every other crop is either burned out, or coming soon. Oh, we do have some cucumbers and peppers to go with the tomatoes. And my first dahlia bloomed! It's a kind of coral-pink color, although with the slugs and heat, the first bloom isn't very photogenic.

We also had a fun visit with "Raia's Oksana," one last time before she goes back to Kiev.


Oh, and a frog has joined Natasha the Fish in her home!

And a special bonus on the way home: see the rabbit?


3 comments:

Raquel said...

I had to click on the picture to see it, but there it is! Looks like you guys had fun!

Mike Icardi said...

I don't know why, but Jaan suddenly looks so big in the picture with the cucumbers.

Baba Julie said...

Great pictures! Glad you've had a good and relaxing week after the busyness of VBS! Love y'all!