Wednesday, January 13, 2021

SNOW! and travel plans


Snow has become a rarer and rarer treat around here over the past few years. We were all thrilled to wake up to a snowfall this morning. I canceled our first hour of school, when we usually read all together, and instead we went outside to enjoy the snow. We ran around like crazy, threw snow, were fascinated by the "snowsticks" that were falling instead of snowflakes, and then came in for a good day of school. I think everyone has plans to go back out as soon as they can, too.







Tonight I'm leaving for Kyiv. Tomorrow morning I'll have an appointment at the American embassy to renew both my passport and Will's. I remember many years ago, American embassies seemed almost like a haven, especially when we were wading through Russian paperwork difficulties. At least there was one place where the rules made sense and people were pleasant. No more. Sadly, the embassy (at least in Kyiv) has gotten harder and harder to work with. I'll take local Migration Service or even other government offices any day over them. (One of the men at Migration here has the ringtone on his phone set to the Servant of the People theme song, and his attitude matches it.) Just trying to get an appointment at the embassy this time was a long ordeal that made me want to scream. Maybe it's good that I've had something other than the upcoming medical stuff to focus all my emotional energy on, though.

Assuming I survive the embassy, I'll head out to a nice hotel near the cancer clinic. Because of covid, the cheap hostels are closed, so I'm looking forward to the treat of a night at this hotel and their good breakfast (if they'll let me take it with me?). Will and I stayed there once at the very beginning of my treatment. Now it's been almost a whole year since I finished treatment, and I have a checkup to mark that milestone. I have blood tests, scans, and appointments scheduled for most of the day. In the evening I'll get on another train to head back to (hopefully still snowy) Kherson. Please pray for me as I travel, deal with the embassy, and see my doctors. Thanks!

4 comments:

Susie Davis said...

Praying for your successful travels and dealings at the embassy and medical center.
I had never heard or seen "snowsticks" before!

Mom said...

Praying. Praying. Praying. Love you much.

Baba Julie said...

It's always great to see your blogs after we talk to the children. Your pictures and words "fill in the blanks". (: It looks like you all had a wonderful time in the snow! We are jealous!(: We have been praying for your time at the Embassy and will be praying for your scans, tests and appts, as well. We love you, Phyllis!

Aunt Mary Dru said...

May your journey today and tomorrow be easy and fruitful. I had to find out more about snow sticks and wow, I have a lot to learn about snow flakes! There are so many different varieties.