Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sunday Evening Post, issue 6


A photo from this week:


Tea party

Jaan...
has actually been drawing this week. Maybe the change toward cooler weather is making him want to settle down to indoor pursuits? Raia will spend hours filling papers with her creations, but Jaan's usually not interested.

Raia... has moved on in her art skills. After a long stretch of nothing but people and flowers, she drew a great person on a horse this week. And she discovered that she loves modeling clay.

Asya... talks non-stop. How did one family end up with THREE children who all love to talk? Aren't there usually some quiet ones thrown into the mix? Oh, well! I love to hear her sharing her thoughts and asking questions.

Will... got the new speakers in and set up, and they sounded great this morning. The babushki could hear! His head is clearing up, too.

School this week: Week 9 already? The weeks are flying by! More Shakespeare this week, and overall just a good, full week.

My books and knitting: I finished my October square, but I think it's not quite square enough, so I'm going to go back and add another repeat. I'm finding my ongoing shawl project to be very fun and relaxing, too. Reading The Tempest, along with other books....

A quote:
[On hearing that she can start praying now for God to send her a good future husband.] "Oh, He keeps the good ones in heaven?"
--Asya

Weather and nature observations:
We've had the first bits of frost, I guess. Not much yet, but the days are slowly getting cooler. One evening we went for a walk and saw an owl, pretty close up!

Other news, ministry, notes and miscellaneous from the week: Last night we had the youth meeting here. Other than that, I'm drawing a blank.

On this date in. . . 2005: I posted a photo of the "washing machine" we used back then. We got our first automatic washing machine around the time Asya was born.

Just a few things I'm thankful for...holy experience
  • washing machines
  • Jaan following along in church, reading the Bible by himself!
  • fall days
  • family time, working with modeling clay all together
  • Skype chats with Julie


My question for you: What are you reading now?

7 comments:

amy in peru said...

I love these posts of yours. I very much like the things you've chosen to include. I was thinking you might link these up to my snapshot summaries if you wanted to... I think you take wonderful snapshots with your words :)

amy in peru

here's the link...

http://apilgrimsproject.blogspot.com/p/snapshot-summary-join-me.html

Baba Julie said...

Hi, All! The tea party is WONDERFUL!! I love that the cat has his/her own chair!

And, Asya's quote!!! Tell her that God sent our husbands straight to us from Heaven, Phyllis!! What do you think? (:

I just finished reading the book Fireproof. I had heard about the movie and saw the book while in the mts. I think I was more amazed by the process of the movie coming about and how God seemed to work in every area, than with the book itself. The idea is GREAT and I'm so glad that God is using this story so mightily. Love y'all!

Sujai said...

Hi! I am new to your blog and really enjoy it! My name is Sujai and I have 2 girls, 26 and 28 and my son is 11. For homeschooling we are about to begin The Red Pony by John Stenbeck. As for myself, I am about to start The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren.

Unknown said...

I thoroughly enjoy reading these each week. I look forward to the updates.

I just started reading Philip Yancey's "Prayer." It is one to ponder not hurry through.

I pray for you often.

Unknown said...

Aww. I made the thankful list. :) I am glad to be chatting with you too! And I love Asya's quote.

I just finished "She Shoots to Conquer" by Dorothy Cannell. It was a funny little mystery.

Laural Out Loud said...

You have such beautiful, wonderful children! The life you have created for them is delightful. You definately inspire me to do better with my little ones.

laura said...

I literally put down my book and checked your blog. I'm reading a lot for grad school right now and I'm in the middle of my favorite (self-assigned reading list) book so far. It is: "Home, A Short History of an Idea" by Witold Rybczynski. He just referenced Jane Austen in this chapter, so I'm pretty smitten.

"Ah! There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort." --Jane Austen, Emma