Monday, August 24, 2020

Birthdays


Today is Ukraine's birthday, and last week was mine. (Tomorrow is my father's. Happy birthday, Dad!) This birthday was a big one for me. I'm 40! But I also have felt like I'm celebrating being alive and well. It is so good, and I am so thankful!

Since Jaan and Raia were gone all of last week, we actually celebrated early, before they left. (They were at South Point youth festival. There are lots of photos here, especially if you click through on where it says linktree.) Will ordered a bunch of lavender plants for me. He thought they were small pots and was surprised by the huge box. I was just surprised and happy in general. They smell wonderful. 


We went out to lunch at the Georgian restaurant we like.


Then we sat by the fountain while Bogdan played. Raia and Asya soon joined him.





Then we had a nice walk and got gelato for desert.


We came home to even more presents.


And all that was before my actual birthday. On the big day, a package arrived, just in time. My parents had gathered cards, photos, letters, and more from many, many people. We've had a great time going through them, reading and looking at everything. Thank you all!

A few more photos from today:


(Hmm. I don't know how to add captions in this new Blogger. The flowers are what I was enjoying this morning; Bogdan climbed up in a tree to take that picture for me. And the last photo is a preview of something Asya and her friend are working on.)

3 comments:

Mom said...

We continue to be profoundly thankful for your life and health. It's a miracle we appreciate daily.

Much love to each one,
Mom

Phil Robertson said...

I'm so pleased to hear about your birthday. Every year I give thanks to the Lord for getting me through my cancer crisis. (I started a new tradition this year on your birthday, thanking the Lord for sparing my only living child.) My cancer wasn't as bad as yours, but it sure had the potential to cut my life short. I am so thankful that I have been given these many years to watch my grandchildren grow up and so many other blessings. Every year is a wonderful gift from God. Tomorrow your mother and I will celebrate my birthday by driving to Virginia to explore Polyface Farm. We will be spending two days there and one day at Monticello. I wish you, Will, and the children could do it with us. We bought a whole tour just for ourselves so there would be plenty of room for ya'll. May your birthday celebration extend all the way to Christmas. (Both of them!) Love, Dad (Grandda, Space Potato Sir)

Baba Julie said...

So happy to hear that your birthday celebration was so nice! We are so thankful that the box arrived on time! We knew it would be very special to you. We are grateful to God for your life, Phyllis! Love, Julie and Bernie