Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Another beautiful day in Russia

I waited to post today, because I was hoping to have a certain piece of good news to share. Alas! not so. (Hmm. Can you tell that our current read aloud is about King Arthur? I don't think I would usually use "alas" in everyday speech or writing.) Several people had told us that we could get the letter notarized here, and so get the birth certificate right away. Will went to the notary, and found out that it would be impossible. Now the birth certificate is on a back burner until we get Gospelink business arranged so that Will can make a trip to Moscow to meet with the missionaries in that region. Then he'll be able to go to a notary there.

I also haven't written much because I've been busy with tomatoes. Monday morning Will got me 23 kilograms of tomatoes. That's more than 50 lbs.! (He had to bring them back from the market on a borrowed bicycle. ) So, I've been cooking and freezing tomatoes. Today, while Jaan and I were working on that in the kitchen, Raia slept in the living room. We heard her start fussing, and while I washed my hands, Jaan ran out to her. By the time I got to them, he was sitting there, babbling to her. She was smiling up at him. He's such a good big brother!

Anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed that work. Also, last night we went over to the Korneichuk's to get our pool out of their yard before they come home. We ended up staying for quite a while and working in their garden. That was fun work, too. Of course, Jaan enjoyed the time to play outdoors, and Raia got a good fresh air nap.

Oh! I do have some other good news. After three months of being off, our hot water came on yesterday. It's so nice, but I'm having trouble getting used to having it back. What a wonderful trouble to have to deal with!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post made me smile! It is so nice to read about your life in Russia!! Stuffed tomatos with rice sounds yummy, right about now! Do you know how to make those?

Phyllis said...

Yum! Stuffed tomatoes. I was already thinking about making them, but someone ate my leftover rice. I'll have to make more. . . .

Yes, I'm putting them all in the freezer. That's why we have the big freezer. Oh, you'll like this: yesterday Will wanted me to make one of the batches of sauce spicy. I did, and now he's eating it like salsa with homemade chips.

Anonymous said...

Honey--

What a pleasure it is to know that you can savor the delights of summer. Although some consider it drudgery, putting up tomatoes is a very satisfying (and for Will, "salsafing") project. The glimpse of Jaan comforting Raia is precious.

We love you all!

Anonymous said...

"salsafing!" Cute!!

To Phyllis' mom, I just want to say what an amazing daughter you raised! You and your husband must be remarkable people! Phyllis is just such an inspiration!!

God Bless you!!