Thursday, August 18, 2005

Jaan's favorite poem

Jaanchik Jaan
(adapted from A. A. Milne's "Cradle Song")

O Jaanchik Jaan
Has ten pink toes,
And ten pink toes
Has Jaachik Jaan.
They go with him
Wherever he goes,
And wherever he goes
They go with him.

O Jaanchik Jaan
Has two brown eyes,
And two brown eyes
Has Jaanchik Jaan.
They cry with him
Whenever he cries,
And whenever he cries,
They cry with him.

O Jaanchik Jaan
Has one brown head
And one brown head
Has Jaanchik Jaan.
It sleeps with him
In Jaanchik's bed.
Sleep well, brown head
Of Jaanchik Jaan.

We have all the Pooh books on a shelf above Jaan's bed. (Thank you "Aunt" Jules!) Several days ago I started reading them to Jaan, just randomly. Now that we've found this poem, he insists on "boo" before bed, and he won't be satisfied until I choose the right book and the right poem. Of course, the right one is this one, "Jaanchik Jaan."

(Happy Birthday to me! I'm 25 today. We're greatly enjoying a nice, quiet family day. It seems to be the first day of Fall.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy reading about your family's adventures! Missionaries are special people and I thank you for sharing your lives with us. Know that people all over are praying for you all.

Laura (I used to visit the Woodshed.)

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey--

I guess I missed your posting when I was searching this morning. Happy, happy birthday to you and greetings to Jaanchik Jaan, sweet Raia, and your devoted husband.

Much love--Mom

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from someone who will be double nickels in a week. At least that's the way earthlings perceive my age. (- ;

Your mother and I love you very much and wish you a very blessed day. I can't believe it's been 25 years since that day when the nurse and I delivered you into this world! Oh, how shocked I was to find out that she was not a doctor.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Phyllis Many, many Birthday Greetings To You!!! May God Grant you MANY YEARS!!!!

My brother is in Russia now and I am so excited for him!! I can't wait to see his photos and hear about his experiences. Also I am hoping he brings me back something really great!!

Keep him in your prayers during his travels, his name is Michael.

I love Jaan's favorite poem, enjoy these fun years of watching him learn and grow, he sounds just delightful!!!

Phyllis said...

Thank you to all of you! Julie, may I ask WHY Will was Pooh Bear? :-)

Anonymous said...

Phyllis,
Happy Birthday! I forget that you are younger than I, as you and Will have taken on so much responsibility. I love that in spite of it all, you still see the world with eyes of wonder - of course, Jaan and Raia now help with that. I hope you are looking forward to another wonderful year!

Love, Alissa

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! It's the 18th here still, so I'm not late. I was thinking of you at midnight when my cell phone date changed over to the 18th. I love you.
love,
me

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday friend!
I wrote you an e-mail, but I wanted to join the chorus of people who love you. Hey, you're older again! I thought about you while Jeff and I were camping in Mammouth Cave, KY. There were many butterflies in the woods, and fields. I couldn't believe it. It was breath-taking. Wish you were there. Love, Shae

Anonymous said...

Hi Phyllis,

Um, Happy Birthday? oops, sorry that I missed that. I knew that it was in August, just didn't know when. We're celebrating Carrie's 25th tomorrow- for some reason, I thought you were after her. Belated birthday greetings and apologies! Love to all-