Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Butterfly eggs and more

Monday we found butterfly eggs! There was a white cabbage butterfly fluttering all around us while we played outside. Jaan and Raia and their little friend started following it. Pretty soon I realized that it was laying eggs, so I had them watch very carefully, and we were able to find them. The children were so excited! I would have loved to have had a camera with me to catch the intent looks and joy on their faces. Now we're just waiting for our three little eggs to hatch. . . .

Tuesday I had a good talk with the main "perpetrator" of the babushka hysteria about us moving to our dacha. She seems to be calmed down, so hopefully the uproar will die out now. Thanks for praying. Even though we usually fit in here perfectly well, there are still moments of cultural revelations and little clashes once in a while. The last one that stands out is newborn care; now we know housing is a big one, too, particularly when there are small children concerned.

Today Will's in Moscow again on Gospelink business that came up unexpectedly. I did better with getting up this morning. Hurrah! We had a wonderful time outside, and we'll go back out after naps, too. Have I mentioned recently that I love Spring? It rained last night, and now the colors just glow: bright green grass, white trees starting to bloom, yellow dandelions, blue sky. . . and our RED tulips. They're the talk of the neighborhood. I knew they were a special kind when we bought them, but I couldn't quite imagine what they would look like. Most tulips have one bloom on one stalk; these branch out and have 3-5 blooms!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I would LOVE to see those tulips!! I know your neighbors must think you have an especially green thumb!! My Russian Lupine is blooming and it is BEAUTIFUL!! It only has one stalk with flowers, though. Is that how they are?

And, I'm so glad the grandmothers have calmed down!! We were praying! Love you all! Baba Julie

Lindy Johnson said...

I planted the multi-bloom type a couple of years ago and am amazed at them. Mine are yellow and red striped! I also love the bright green of spring and the flowers appearing almost overnight.

Phyllis said...

Well, they're not quite calm yet. Please keep praying.

Mrs said...

Butterfly eggs! I bet this one makes the Grandpa smile!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of multi-bloom tulips. That's fascinating. I'll have to go find some!

Anonymous said...

Reply to Mrs
Yes, I'm smiling, but I've been smiling ever since we got back from Guatemala. We had a wonderful time.
Grandda