Saturday, September 11, 2010

Changes over nine years

A friend of mine has been in Moscow for three years now. She posted a list of how it's changed her. That, and the fact that today is the nine-year anniversary of our move to Moscow, made me start thinking of how I've changed, too. I'll skip the obvious things, like the fact that I now have children, and list a few of the changes I see in myself. Although, really, I can hardly remember or notice many of them.
  • I'm more assertive.
  • I speak Russian WAY better.
  • I'm much less sensitive about personal comments and criticism. Things people say about my mothering that would have made me cry with Jaan, now just give me something to laugh about (later, not to their faces).
  • I'm more laid back.
  • I don't plan ahead any more.
  • I speak English more precisely and apparently with something of a British accent (?).
  • I can easily spout off the names of the English verb tenses and even give examples of them: Simple Past, Past Perfect, Past Perfect Continuous....
  • I thoroughly enjoy reading in Russian now.
  • The draft in our bedroom has been making my back ache the past few days (but it still doesn't make me sick!).
  • Again, I still wouldn't get sick from sitting on the ground, but I don't do it, and I feel shocked when I see an American plop down just anywhere.
  • I'll copy my friend and say, "I consider an electric kettle one of the most important kitchen appliances."
  • I can cook for Russian or American taste buds, and I generally know what people will eat and what is just too "exotic."
  • It feels very funny to me when I'm in an American church, and there's just one sermon.
  • I also have to hold myself back from greeting the other women with a kiss after church in America or American-style churches.
  • I honestly feel more at home in this culture than in the one I was born in.
  • For the last one, I'll copy again: "I’ve experienced God’s grace in so many beautiful ways."

Okay, that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I should ask Will how I've changed....

3 comments:

Agape said...

That was really interesting, Phyllis! Thank you, I've learned some new things and remembered somethimgs I'd forgotten. Happy Anniversary!

~Karen_ said...

Happy Anniversary!

I can relate to a few of your changes. We're still in the US and I feel the same as you when you noted- It feels very funny to me when I'm in an American church, and there's just one sermon. :-)

Come and visit my blog and read my newest blog post http://building68.blogspot.com/

Martha A. said...

I would relate to a couple of those..refraining from kissing the women in American churches would be one I had to learn and laughing when people complain about the one sermon they had to listen to that was only 20 minutes long and let them know 'church was short today....only 2.5 hours and only 3 sermons."