Saturday, May 18, 2019

Diagnosis and questions

The doctor in Kyiv wrote late last night to say that he thinks he's ready. It's melanoma. The head doctor there has to look over everything and might still say that they need to do some more reactions, though. Will can probably pick up everything Monday.

I feel baffled. Although, now I understand why that doctor kept writing that it was difficult and unusual and the whole department was working on it. Just from quick internet searches I'm seeing that "non-cutaneous" melenoma or "unknown primary" melanoma is rare and different from skin cancer. (I don't even know if that's what I have. I just found those phrases online.) If I look for breast cancer or any other common cancer, there are pretty pages with understandable info written for patients and normal people. Now I'm mostly finding medical journals and technical info that I pretty much can't decipher.

From the beginning we've said that we don't want questions, and that's true. But it doesn't mean that we don't want to hear anything from anyone! We have really appreciated all the responses we've gotten and every time someone has taken the time to write. There is just so much that we don't know, and we get tired of repeating answers to questions like, "What kind of cancer?" If you've read this, you know as much as we know about that. "What stage?" Don't know yet. "What are you going to do?!?" No idea. "How do you feel?" That's the hardest one! It varies, but mostly I'm fine.


Today is the big celebration of Agape's 15th birthday. I've considered going, and I feel well enough to, but I'll probably stay home. I'm happier here. The visiting leaders of Agape did come visit me and pray for me, and that was wonderful. Will and the kids have Agape lectures (Will), a wedding, classes, children's ministry, and the birthday to attend today, so I'll hear about all that from them tonight.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update, Phyllis. We have been praying, of course, but will pray more specifically, that the doctors will know EXACTLY what this cancer is and how best to treat it. We are praying for healing for you (as you well know (:) and wisdom and strength for all of you. We love you all very dearly, Julie and Bernie

Mom said...

Please know that we love you dearly and stand ready to attempt to do anything you want us to do. In the meanwhile we continue to pray. Much love, Dad and Mom

Jessica said...

Praying from Virginia, for healing and strength for you, thank you for your update. -Jessica and David Hunsucker

Mrs. Langer said...

Mr. Langer and I pray for you everyday. This morning, as every morning since your I learned you were in hospital, I checked your blog for a medical update.
Please know that my prayers only intensify for the wisdom for the doctors for accurate staging and best course of treatment.
We love you. We know God holds you and your precious family closely in His hands.
Love, Mrs. Langer
PS Kristin and Kara ask after you too.

Lindy Johnson said...

Thank you for the information. Your updates, even if they don’t answer all the questions, help us in dealing with this news from far away. If we were closer I’d love to comfort you in person. Please know that any help I can offer I will. We love you very much and are closely following your updates (medical and family).

Unknown said...

Hello Phyllis and Will.

This is your uncle Tom. Wanted to let you know that Norma, Tab, Leslie and I think of you daily and are hoping the best for you.

Last week we flew from Connecticut to Florida and had a nice visit with all four sibs, my mother and your father in attendance. I think the last time all of us were together was about 13 years ago when my mother had her 80th birthday, so it was a good visit. Unfortunately we didn't have the opportunity to see Scott and the two kids.

Again, hoping the best for you and hoping that you get the best care possible from your doctors--it seems you have the benefit of many people around you who love you dearly, and for that we can all be grateful.

Love,
Tom.

Dawn said...

Wow. Phyllis. This is very unexpected (i.e., melanoma vs breast cancer). I will have to do some investigating into this myself to learn more. I second the opinion that all that you post here is incredibly helpful, and I, too, check here for updates with great anticipation. You will continue to be lifted in prayer by my family, not merely for health and discernment but for answers and the best possible interventions.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the updates. Hearing you through the blog is comforting and informative. You and the family are in my thoughts much of each day! We love you.