Sunday, February 25, 2007

Raia's problem

A while ago, when Julie was still here, I took the children out for a walk and ended up dragging Raia home with her mouth bleeding all over. She had decided to taste a metal bar and left behind the skin from her tongue and both lips. She was unhappy about it, but she healed up quickly. I thought she would have learned. Then, the day before yesterday she went for a metal post with her mouth wide open. I jumped for her and actually knocked her over before she made contact. We talked and talked about it, but all she seemed to understand was that Mama had pushed her. And yesterday as we were all waiting for a trolley bus, Raia was looking at the metal railing next to her, licking her lips, and moving in. I startled Will by blocking her and saying, "Don't even think about it!"

Will she ever learn? She is teething again, but is that enough to explain this obsession with cold (painful!) metal? When we go out, I must look like a madwoman, trying to keep my daughter away from anything metal!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I shamefully had to admit I did this in first grade on the metal monkey bars in our playground. I was trying to lick the fresh snow off. *lol* However, I was older and understood the association of the cold metal bar to the pain of ripping my tongue open!! OUCH!

Anonymous said...

I my, that's not a problem we have around here...poor thing!

Tabatha

Loving Life said...

*LOL*...some wee ones sure do keep you on your toes hugh? :) I remember doing that in my freezer when I was 10 (definitely old enough to know better)! I guarantee I NEVER tried that again!
~debi~

Mrs said...

Oh my word! This is one childhood problem I have NEVER had to deal with! Sunburns, hot feet on the sidewalk, seat belts burning, yes.

She's at such a mouthy age anyway. Is there something you can give her to chew on when outdoors, or would that end up freezing, too? (Honestly, I'd like to know!)

Phyllis said...

I could take something non-metal. . . that's an idea. I don't know how long it would take metal to freeze to the point where it would be bad.

monica said...

oooh, i empathize. it is cold and i have a teether, but he isnt a walker (yet) so we have not had tackling sessions outside. what a treat to find your blog!