Monday, July 21, 2008

Salute!

Saturday night Jaan and I went to see the city day fireworks, and we had a wonderful time together. I had been planning to take both Jaan and Raia, but Raia didn't want to get up when I went in to wake them. It's probably a good thing, too. Somehow I had thought the show would be right here near us in the center, and it was scheduled to be at 10:00. When Jaan and I got to the center, it was empty, and I realized that the fireworks were going to be at the stadium. So, we hurried off to the stadium. I figured that we could see the fireworks as we walked down there. Well, we got there, and the concert was still going strong. We enjoyed the beautiful moon, watching people, and studying how cotton candy is made. Finally, by 11:00, Jaan actually said that he was tired and wanted to go home. We were disappointed not to have seen any fireworks, but we started home. Just as we left the stadium, the fireworks started! At first it was just like what they do every weekend at the restaurant near us: pretty, but not too big. I was enjoying watching Jaan. This was his first time seeing a fireworks show. But then they started shooting off HUGE fireworks. Jaan panicked and took off running! And, we had been standing on the edge of a ravine. He went right over the edge. It was terribly dark, so I could only see his face in the flashes of light. But, I got him back up on the road, and we enjoyed the rest of the show as we ran away. . . together.

We got home around midnight, and Jaan told Will something like, "Papa, we saw big fireworks and I fell to the bottom and sugar turned into fluff there!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jaan's description of the evening makes me chuckle; I am glad you were both able to enjoy your nightowl outing.

Much love....

Anonymous said...

Wow! I was scared there for a minute!! A ravine!! I'm glad you were able to get him back on the road! I remember how scared Will was the first time he saw fireworks! I guess it's that way for most little ones. Sounds like you all had a fun and adventurous time together! Love, Baba Julie

Debbie said...

It sounds like it was a great time of memory making. Glad Jaan was able to see some fireworks & that he didn't get hurt.