Monday, July 18, 2005

Remember our caterpillar?


Admiring the chrysalis
Originally uploaded by fylliska.



When we came back from our trip, we found that our caterpillar (June 30) had turned into a green and shiny gold chrysalis. Today the butterfly emerged! It is a Pavlinii glaz Inachis io. I should probably know what that is in English, but I don't. I'm going to get our English butterfly book out. . . OK, it's a Peacock butterfly. Unfortunately, the photos didn't turn out too well. In this one below you can at least see the beauty of the colors. I have another one that shows the pattern, but the color isn't as good. If anyone wants to see that one, let me know, and I'll send it to you (Dad ).

Jaan was very excited by this new creature in his jar. I don't know if he made any connection between the caterpillar, chrysalis, and butterfly, but we did talk about it, and I showed him the empty chrysalis. Maybe he understood. If not, I'm sure we'll be doing this again next year, and by then he'll get it. For now it was just an exciting adventure. He was pretty upset when we let the butterfly out of the kitchen and watched it fly away. Now he keeps looking on the balcony for his "bird" and waving goodbye.





Originally uploaded by fylliska.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The miracle of metamorphosis reveals a butterfly we have never before seen and very different than what we expected from the description of the caterpillar. Beautiful!

Love--Mom

Anonymous said...

Well, I was close with my admiral guess. The peacock is also in the Brush-foots (Nymphalidae) family and the True Brush-foots (Nymphalinae).

I have several White Peacocks I caught at church yesterday near the holding pond. I'm hoping they will provide me with some eggs on my water hyssop.

Our garden is alive with butterflies: Giant Swallowtails, Sulphurs, Gulf Fritillaries, Monarchs, Black Swallowtails, Tiger Swallowtails, Skippers, Ceraunus Blues, Banded Hairstreaks, Polydamas (Gold Rim) Swallowtails and Zebra Longwings. We have quite a few caterpillars too. I wish you here to enjoy them all. I'm sorry to say we don't have any producing berry bushes for Jaan to enjoy.

Love -- Dad