Thursday, November 17, 2005

Walks

Just quickly, I'll share about yesterday's and today's walks. Yesterday we went to the woods. Since we didn't see anyone else, I guess other people aren't thinking that this is a good time for a walk in the woods. We enjoyed the solitude, though. Jaan was fascinated by the sound of the wind in the trees. Once Raia fell asleep, we found a log to sit on, and just listened.

Today we stayed closer to home, but we saw a flock of waxwings. Even Raia noticed them, and her wide little eyes got even wider at all the noise and activity in the trees above us. I think the first waxwings are a sign of winter here in the same way that robins signal spring in other parts of the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can just envision Raia's wide little eyes and the fascination of the three of you observing the waxwings. It is a precious picture.

With much love to all...

Lindy Johnson said...

Here in Vermont the waxwings are one of my favorite sights each spring and fall. They generally clean the crabapples off the tree in the fall and then reappear in early spring. I haven't seen ours yet but will be on the lookout.